Editorial Intern Opportunity Description
Title: Fairchild Books Fall Editorial Intern
Company/Publication: Fairchild Books, a division of Bloomsbury Publishing Inc.
Location: New York, NY
Paid/Unpaid: Paid $9/hr
Dates/Hours: Fall 2016 (August to December) / 9am – 5pm
Time Commitment: The intern should be able to commit to at least 30 hours per week.
Fairchild Books is a division of Bloomsbury Publishing Inc. Established in 1910 and used by students and professionals worldwide, Fairchild Books is one of the world’s leading publishers of textbooks, reference titles and educational resources in the fields of fashion and interior design. Our titles cover a broad range of subject areas, including textiles, design foundations, retailing, visual merchandising, color theory, lighting, drawing & presentation, sustainability, and more. With over 240 titles in print, Fairchild Books leverages unique insider access to all aspects of the fashion and interior design worlds and the expertise of leading professionals in the field.
Summary of Internship Experience:
Fairchild Books is offering an editorial internship opportunity and seeking candidates with a desire to learn about the book publishing process. Candidates should have a keen interest in academic and professional publishing and be an undergraduate or graduate student who will be able to receive college credit for the internship. The intern experience will include assisting editors with market research, working hands-on with manuscripts and art programs to help meet deadlines, and helping coordinate the development of instructor and student resources, among other editorial and administrative tasks.
• Gain an understanding of the book publishing process, from the proposal stage through the final product.
• Experience working on different projects and with various departments.
• Involvement in a variety of editorial tasks and responsibilities, and opportunities to contribute to the development and production of new editions, new titles, and supplements.
• College credit.
• Required to be currently enrolled in college and eligible to receive college credit for internship.
• Excellent writing skills, strong attention to detail and impeccable grammar.
• Ability to work independently in an office environment, to multi-task, prioritize responsibilities and meet deadlines.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) required.
• Proofreading/copyediting experience and familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style a plus.
• English, Journalism, or Communications major preferred.
If you are interested in applying please email a cover letter stating the days/hours you are available and resume to: Kiley Kudrna, Assistant Editor at Kiley.email@example.com. Applications due by September 1, 2016.