Jewellery Design: From Fashion to Fine Jewellery
Basics Fashion Design 10: Jewellery Design by Elizabeth Galton
184 pages / full colour / paperback / 978 2 940411 94 8 / publishing October 2012
Elizabeth Galton is the former Creative Director of Links of London and is now Creative Director at Aurum Holdings Ltd (Mappin & Webb and Goldsmiths). She is a visiting lecturer at several top UK universities and was appointed curator of Treasure, London Jewellery Week 2012. Her impressive contacts and successful experience in the world of jewellery design make this book incredibly inspiring, full of stunning pieces of jewellery and interviews with impressive jewellery designers such as Nadja Swarovski, Shaun Leane, Stephen Webster, Anne Kazuro-Guionnet and Lara Bohinc. It is the perfect practical guide for all aspiring designers who want to see what it is possible to achieve in the competitive world of jewellery design.
This book explores a variety of topics including:
- the history of jewellery
- the fine, couture and fashion jewellery markets
- ethical practice and marketing
- the design process (how this evolves from an initial sketch to samples and then to the building of a collection)
- creating a lookbook
- dealing with customers, press and buyers
- pricing, manufacturing and retailing
- the day-to-day life of a cross section of jewellery designers and the diverse set of skills required (from working on design collaborations to being a member of the design team)
- portfolio and CV presentation.
Jewellery Design provides an overview of the varied career paths and a window into the worlds of some of the most talented jewellery designers working today. It has been written as a resource for all jewellery designers who want to learn about the industry and be inspired by an eclectic mix of fashion and fine jewellery from talented contemporary designers.